British naturalist, author of "On the origin of species, by means of natural selection"
- "The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic."
- Simple: People can not know how life began, so I am not sure if there is a god or not.
- It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
- Descent of Man (introduction)
- Simple: Those who are foolish say that science cannot solve a problem.