1st president of the United States (1732–1799)
- "I cannot tell a lie, I did it with my little hatchet."
- Simple: I am not able to tell a lie, I did it with my hatchet.
- What it means: He was confessing to his father, Augustine Washington, that he had cut down a cherished cherry tree.
- "It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible."
- Simple: People are not able run governments without God and the Bible.
- What it means: Religion is needed for a government to make good and moral decisions.
- "It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a Free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even of his personal services to the defense of it."
- Simple: We can say that this is one of the most important things. It is what holds up our system. Every Citizen who is protected by a Free Government should not only pay part of his property to help keep the Free Government safe. He himself should do work to keep it safe.