English novelist (1775-1817)
- "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of."
- Simple: Having much money is the best way to make someone happy, that I know of.
- "And indeed, Mary, I cannot wonder at your husband. Nursing does not belong to a man, it is not his province. A sick child is always the mother's property, her own feelings generally make it so."
- Simple: Actually, Mary, I'm not surprised at your husband. Nursing isn't a man's job. A mother always takes care of her sick child, her own feelings usually make her like that.
- "Isabella, embracing Catherine, thus began: - "Yes, my dear Catherine, it is so indeed; your penetration has not deceived you. - Oh! that arch eye of yours! - It sees through every thing."
Catherine replied only by a look of wondering ignorance." 
- Simple: Isabella, hugging Catherine, began like this - "Yes, my dear Catherine, it is really so; your cleverness has not lied to you. - Oh! your sly eye! - It sees through every thing."
Catherine replied only by a look of unknowing surprise.
- ""And what are you reading, Miss—?" "Oh! it is only a novel!" replies the young lady…in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humor are conveyed to the world in the best chosen language."
- Pride and Prejudice (1813)
- Jane Austen on Wikipedia
- Jane Austen on Wikimedia Commons
- Works by Jane Austen on the English Wikisource
- The Jane Austen Museum
- Guardian Books "Author Page", with profile and links to further articles.
- The Republic of Pemberley, the largest Jane Austen site on the web.
- The Jane Austen Society of North America
- Jane Austen Quote of the Day