American jazz trumpeter and singer (1901–1971)
- "There are some people that if they don't know, you can't tell them."
- Simple: There are some people that, if they do not know something, you cannot tell them.
- "We all do 'do, re, mi,' but you have got to find the other notes yourself."
- Simple: We all do 'do, re, mi,' but you have got to find the other musical notes yourself.
- "All music is folk music. I ain't never heard a horse sing a song."
- Simple: All music played and sang by people, I have never heard a horse sign a song.
- "Musicians don't retire; they stop when there's no more music in them."
- Simple: People who play music do not retire, they stop playing when they are not able to play anymore.
- "The memory of things gone is important to a jazz musician. Things like old folks singing in the moonlight in the back yard on a hot night or something said long ago."
- Simple: The memory of things in the past is important to a jazz musician. Things like old people singing in the moonlight, in the back garden, on a hot night, or something said long ago.