Martin Luther King, Jr.
American civil-rights activist and leader (1929–1968)
- "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
- Simple: Darkness cannot make darkness go away. Only light can make darkness go away. Hate cannot make hate go away. Only love can do that.
- What it means: Hatred cannot be resolved with more hatred. Only love can keep people from hating each other.
- "A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus."
- Simple: A real leader does not look for a way to have everyone agree but creates a way to have everyone agree.
- "A lie cannot live."
- Simple: Something which is not true cannot continue to exist.
- "A man can't ride your back unless it's bent."
- Simple: A man cannot climb on your back and let you carry him unless your back is bent.
- "A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
- Simple: If a man will not die for a cause then he should not live.
- "Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal."
- Simple: Do not forget that everything Hitler did during World War II was not against the law.
- What it means: Just because something is the law does not mean that it is right.
- "Don't ever let anyone pull you so low as to hate them."