Irish poet, playwright, and aesthete (1854–1900)
- “All art is immoral.”
- Simple: No art is moral.
- “A poet can survive everything but a misprint.”
- Simple: A poet can survive anything other than a printing mistake.
- “Anybody can make history. Only a great man can write it.”
- Simple: Anybody can make history. But only a great man can write history.
- “There is no sin except stupidity.”
- Simple: Stupidity is the only sin.
- “Charity creates a multitude of sins.”
- Simple: Charity creates too many sins.