French philosopher, mathematician, and scientist (1596-1650)
René Descartes (March 31, 1596 – February 11, 1650) was an important French philosopher, mathematician, scientist, and writer. Some people also call him Cartesius.
- "Dubium sapientiae initium."
- English: Doubt is the origin of wisdom.
- What it means: When you have doubt you become wiser.
- "Cogito, ergo sum."
- English: I think, therefore I am.
- What it means: You exist because you think.
- "Ex nihilo nihil fit."
- English: Nothing comes out of nothing.
- What it means: If you do not do anything, nothing happens.
- ↑ Meditationes de prima philosophiae (Meditations on First Philosophy) (1641)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Principia philosophiae (Principles of Philosophy) (1644)
- René Descartes on Wikipedia
- René Descartes on Wikimedia Commons
- Works by René Descartes on the English Wikisource