English author and journalist (1903–1950)
| More reliable sources are needed for some or all quotes on this page.
You can help Simple English Wikiquote by adding reliable sources.
- "All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting."
- Simple: All the lies and hate during a war, are usually said by the people who are not fighting.
- "Early in life I had noticed that no event is ever correctly reported in a newspaper."
- Simple: When I was young I saw that newspapers never tell the whole truth about an event.
- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
- Simple: People are not scared at night because the army are ready to hurt the people who might want to hurt us.