|official policy on Wikiquote.This page is an |
It has wide acceptance among editors and is considered a standard that all users should follow.
Big changes to this page should be talked about on the talk page before changing.
Administrators can block users for many reasons. When a user is blocked, they will not be able to edit Wikiquote, but can still read Wikiquote.
Common reasons for blocking are:
- Breaking Wikiquote policies
- Adding pages or sentences that are against copyright
- Having an bad username
- Being an open proxy
Users should be warned with appropriate warning templates before administrators block them, but administrators can block a user at any time if they are intentionally disrupting Wikiquote or violating other policies. All administrators who block users must have a working email address in their personal settings so they can be contacted by a user affected by a block if necessary.
Administrators also have the right to block users who have been banned on other Wikiquotes or other Wikimedia Foundation projects. This will be decided on a case-by-case basis. For example, a vandal can be blocked, but a user who ignored rules should not be blocked, unless it can be demonstrated that they may repeat it here.
If you feel you have been unfairly blocked, please contact the person who blocked you. On your talk page or in an email what IP address you are using. When you go to edit a page you will see this, and it will tell you your IP address. Contact details for administrators are listed on the administrators page.
Users can be blocked for any period of time, but IP addresses should be blocked for no more than a few days.
When blocks are set you change the effects of the block, they are listed here:
- Auto block
- This changes the effect of a block on a registered account. When enabled, it blocks the most recently used IP address by that user, and any following addresses they try to edit from.
- Block account creation
- This changes the effect of a block on a registered user or IP. When enabled, it will stop them from creating an account while they are blocked.
- Block anonymous users only
- This changes the effect of blocks on IP's. When enabled, the block will only affect anonymous users editing from that IP address, not registered users.
- Block e-mail
Vandal and spam bots should be blocked as soon as possible. If you need help to stop an automated vandal, ask a steward in the the #wikimedia-stewards IRC channel or at meta:requests for permissions, where someone else may be able to report it to the IRC channel. A bot may be attacking other Wikiquotes too, which is why you must report it. See this page for more details.
Administrators should block anonymous proxies. This was talked about on the Wikipedia mailing list. The administrator can set the timestamp of the block to "indefinite", which means the anonymous proxy will be blocked forever. If it is a tor proxy it should be less since they are not usually tors for long.
Administrators should try not to block ISP proxies; this sort of block would affect lots of people.
- Special:Ipblocklist - Currently blocked users, excluding those blocked by range
- Special:Block - Use this to block or unblock a user (sysop only)
- Range blocks - Please do not block ranges unless you know what you are doing!
- MediaWiki:Blockedtext - the text a blocked user sees when they try to edit a page.
- Requests for unblock
- http://www.as3344.net/is-tor/ check for TOR nodes